Dell Networking Z9500 Ethernet Fabric Switch
High-performance 10/40GbE fabric switch
Industry-leading, high-density 3RU with 132 ports of 40GbE (528 ports of 1/10GbE using breakout cables), low latency, low power and high throughput to ensure line-rate performance, feature-rich Dell Networking Operating System 9, and full L2 switching and L3 routing with rich manageability features.
Dell Active Fabric switch
Z9500 is a compact, next-generation switch/router designed for industry-leading, high-density 10/40GbE aggregation in a data center core network. The Z9500 addresses data center 10/40GE aggregation requirements through traditional hierarchical core or distributed core architectures for high-performance enterprise data centers, high-performance computing (HPC), cloud computing, hyperscale data centers and provider-hosted data centers. As a compact fixed form factor switch, the Z9500 can be positioned as a core, aggregation or end-of-row switch. The Z9500 can support 132 ports of 40GbE QSFP or 528 ports of 1/10GbE SFP+ realized through breakout cables and includes a full suite of Ethernet switching and routing protocols in the hardened Dell Networking Operating System 9 (OS9) to enable layer 2 or layer 3 network architectures. The Z9500 supports a userfriendly pay-as-you-go* pricing model, allowing customers to license 36-, 84- or 132-port SKUs according to their business needs. Pay-as-you-go* pricing can be upgraded to a higher port density with a simple software license.
The Z9500 also supports Dell Networking's Open Automation Framework, which provides advanced network automation and virtualization capabilities for virtual data center environments. The Open Automation Framework is comprised of a suite of inter-related network management tools that can be used together or independently to provide a network that is more flexible, available and manageable while reducing operational expenses. Built-in support for key network virtualization and software defined networking capabilities help enable customers with future-ready agility, optimized for virtual services deployment and delivery.
The Z9500 offers the ultimate in flexibility from density to deployment. When you install this 3RU switch in your data center, you’ll not only simplify manageability, you’ll be able to stay ahead of your data needs rather than react to them.
Consider these key features:
- 132 ports of 40GbE or 528 ports of 10GbE breakout mode in 3RU
- L2/L3 in a leaf-spine configuration with architectures up to over 100,000 servers
- License 36, 84, or 132 ports according to your business needs
- Low latency – 600-2000ns
Whether your data center is mid-sized or enterprise level, the ability to pay-as-you-grow can mean the difference between leading edge and falling behind. Right out of the box, the Z9500 gives you scalable performance on-demand.
Keep pace with your customers, and increase business value with these key features:
- Four times higher throughput (10 Tbs), and 25% lower latency than the previous generation Z9000
- User configurable table adjustments to allow for expanding virtualized data center characteristics
- Double the density per RU and half the latency of the leading competitor
Energy and resource efficient
The Z9500 offers superior performance at one-third the power consumption of the leading competitor making it one of the most power efficient fabric switches on the market today.
Reduce energy costs, speed setup and improve the bottom line with:
- 4.7W per 10GbE port
- Up to 7x faster deployment over traditional configurations
- Tool-less Enterprise ReadyRails™ for fast, easy installation
- Active Fabric 10/40GbE switching in enterprise, HPC and cloud computing data centers that require the highest bandwidth and performance for 1/10GbE servers
- Switching device for non-blocking clos architectures in hyperscale data centers
- High-density 10/40 bE end-of-row switch for blade server aggregation
- Small-scale Active Fabric spine switch along with S-Series 1/10GbE top-of-rack (ToR) switches for cost-effective aggregation of 10/40GbE uplinks
- 3RU high-density 10/40GbE ToR switch with 132 ports of 40GbE (QSFP+) or 528 ports of 1/10GbE (with breakout cables)
- With 10.4Tbps of switching I/O bandwidth (full-duplex) and available non-blocking switching fabric, the Z9500 delivers line-rate performance under full load with sub-2us latency
- Scalable L2 and L3 Ethernet switching with QoS and a full complement of standards-based IPv4 and IPv6 features, including OSPF and BGP routing support
- I/O panel to PSU airflow
- Open Automation Framework adds automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of network environments
- Modular Dell Networking OS9 software delivers inherent stability as well as advanced monitoring and serviceability functions
- Supports jumbo frames for high-end server connectivity
- 128 link aggregation groups with up to 16 members per group using advanced hashing
- Redundant hot-swappable power supplies and fans
- Low power consumption using a PHY-less design
- Support for L2 multipath using Virtual Link Trunking (VLT)* and mVLT multi-chassis link aggregation technology
- Routed VLT (rVLT)* enables L3 routing protocol support in VLT LAGs and also replaces VRRP L3 gateway at the access layer with scaled L3 VLAN support
- OpenFlow 1.0-ready functionality for SDN* applications
- Tool-less Enterprise ReadyRails™ mounting kits reduce time and resources for switch rack installation
- Power-efficient operation with close to 4W per 1/10GbE port for nominal power consumption
Simplify data center infrastructure
Leverage the high port densisties of the Z9500 to consolidate networking functions and end-of-row with blade server systems. The Z9500 also simplifies manageability by reducing the number of devices as well as through easy cable routing via the cable management kit.
Simplified data center infrastructure
Accelerate data center infrastructure
The Z9500 can be deployed as a leaf and spine node in an Active Fabric configuration for high-performance, low-latency fabric switching. Accelerate east-west traffic and optimize application performance in scenarios where a 1:1 design is not required.
High-performance Active Fabric
Leverage the high port density of the Z9500 to consolidate network functions at end-of-row. Enable massively scalable architectures with 40GbE interconnects inside the fabric.
Simplify data center infrastructure
The Z9500 allows spine and leaf to be compressed into a highly dense fabric option. High port density enables the consolidation of end-of-row networking functions (such as attach) connected to the highly available fabric rather than a single end-of-row device. Management is simplified through the reduction of devices while maintaining full HA redundant performance.
|Micro scale fabric
The Z9500's pay-as-you-go* licensing model (36, 84 port SKU) allows you to build fabrics for small data centers and increase fabric capacity as demand grows.
|Macro scale fabric
The high port density of the Z9500 enables you to build large L2 domans for high-performance computing, enabling more dense, energy-efficient, lowlatency deployment.
The high port density of the Z9500 also allows the consolidation of networking functions at the end-of-row, enabling massively scalable architectures with 40GbE interconnects inside the fabric.
Dell Networking Z-Series:
|Dell Networking Switches|
|Dell Networking Z-Series|
Dell Networking Z9500 Ethernet Fabric Switch
This powerful, high-density core switch offers pay-as-you-grow pricing and built-in Dell support for your network virtualization initiatives.
Key features include:
Dell Networking Z9000 Core and Fabric Switch
Enables data center networks with distributed core design and 10/40GbE network connections.
Key features include:
Legend: S — Standard, AO — Available Optional, N — Not Available
|Dell Networking Z9000||Dell Networking Z9500|
|Hot swappable redundant power||S||S|
|Hot swappable redundant fans||S||S|
|40 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ ports||32||132|
|1 RJ45 console/management port with RS232 signaling||S||S|
|1 RJ45 10/100/1000 Base-T management port||S||S|
|1 x USB 2.0 type A storage port||S||S|
|1 x USB 2.0 type B console port||S||S|
|Size||2 RU, 3.48 h x 17.32 w x 24" d (8.8 h x 44 w x 61 cm d)||3RU, 5.25” h x 17.08” w x 34” d|
|Weight||39 lbs (incl. 1 power supply, 4 fan trays)||122 lbs|
|Operating temperature||0°C to 40°C||32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)|
|Operating humidity||10 to 85% (RH), non-condensing||10 to 85% (RH), non-condensing|
|Storage temperature||–40° to 158°F (–40° to 70°C)||–40° to 158°F (–40° to 70°C)|
|Storage humidity||5 to 95% (RH), non-condensing||5 to 95% (RH), non-condensing|
|Power supply||100–240 VAC 50/60 Hz, -40 to -60 VDC||100–240V AC 50/60Hz|
|Max. power consumption||800W||3100W|
|Standards and Compliance|
|UL/CSA 60950-1, Second Edition||S||S|
|EN 60950-1, Second Edition||S||S|
|IEC 60950-1, Second Edition Including all National Deviations and Group Differences||S||S|
|EN 60825-1 Safety of Laser Products Part 1: Equipment||S||S|
|Classification Requirements and User's Guide||S||S|
|EN 60825-2 Safety of Laser Products Part 2: Safety of Optical Fibre Communication Systems||S||S|
|FDA Regulation 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11||S||S|
|Australia/New Zealand: AS/NZS CISPR 22: 2006, Class A||S||S|
|Canada: ICES-003, Issue-4, Class A||S||S|
|Europe: EN 55022: 2006+A1:2007 (CISPR 22: 2006), Class A||S||S|
|Japan: VCCI V3/2009 Class A||S||S|
|USA: FCC CFR 47 Part 15, Subpart B:2009, Class A||S||S|
|EN 300 386 V1.4.1:2008 EMC for Network Equipment||S||S|
|EN 55024: 1998 + A1: 2001 + A2: 2003||S||S|
|EN 61000-3-2: Harmonic Current Emissions||S||S|
|EN 61000-3-3: Voltage Fluctuations and Flicker||S||S|
|EN 61000-4-2: ESD||S||S|
|EN 61000-4-3: Radiated Immunity||S||S|
|EN 61000-4-4: EFT||S||S|
|EN 61000-4-5: Surge||S||S|
|EN 61000-4-6: Low Frequency Conducted Immunity||S||S|
|All Z-Series components are EU RoHS compliant||S||S|
Certifications & Protocols
|General IPv4 Protocols
General Internet Protocols
Download the Dell Networking Z9500 Switch Spec Sheet (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.